OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team came up short against Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Trine (Ind.) University, 71-39, this afternoon at the Upton Center Gymnasium.
Final Score: Trine (Ind.) 71, Olivet 39
Location: Upton Center Gymnasium; Olivet, Michigan
Records: Trine 16-4 overall, 10-1 MIAA; Olivet 4-16 overall, 1-10 MIAA
- In the first quarter, the Comets led by four points, 8-4, after junior DeeDee Post made a free throw to complete an "old-fashioned" three-play at the 6:12 mark. The Thunder responded with nine straight points to gain their largest lead of the quarter, 13-8. Olivet closed the gap to a single point before Trine drained two free throws with 0.5 seconds left to push its lead to three points, 15-12, at the end of the quarter.
- The Thunder stretched their lead to eight points, 20-12, with 7:42 left in the second quarter. The Comets trimmed their deficit down to three points, 23-20, when senior Tammy Lee made a layup and free throw for her own three-point play at the 5:24 mark. Trine scored the final 11 points of the quarter to take a 34-20 lead at halftime.
- The Thunder doubled the Comets in the scoring column in the third quarter, 22-11, and out-scored them, 15-8, in the fourth stanza to create the final 71-39 score.
- Lee was the only player to score in double figures, as she had 10 points.
- Freshman Zara Weber finished with nine points on 3-of-5 shooting from behind the arc.
- Post grabbed a team-best seven rebounds.
- As a team, Olivet made its first 12 free throw attempts.
- Katy Steers led all players with 12 points.
- Kelsy Taylor joined her in double figures with 10 points. She also had a game-best eight rebounds.
- Olivet welcomes Albion College to the Upton Center Gymnasium next Wednesday, Feb. 5, for a MIAA contest at 5:30 p.m. The game is a part of a basketball doubleheader, as the Comet men face Calvin University immediately following the women's game.