NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Playing a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) contest in more than two weeks, the Olivet College women's basketball team fell to Saint Mary's (Ind.) College, 60-50, this afternoon inside the Angela Athletic Center in Notre Dame, Indiana.
Final Score: Saint Mary's (Ind.) 60, Olivet 50
Location: Angela Athletic Center; Notre Dame, Indiana
Records: Saint Mary's 6-7 overall, 3-1 MIAA; Olivet 4-9 overall, 1-3 MIAA
- After trading baskets to start the game, the Belles went on a 9-2 run over the final 4:30 of the first quarter to turn an 8-7 lead into a 17-9 advantage through 10 minutes of action.
- Saint Mary's scored the first two points of the second quarter before a 5-0 Comet run trimmed their deficit in half, 19-14. The Belles extended their lead to double digits, 29-18, with 2:34 left before halftime. Olivet got a basket 20 seconds later to make the score 29-20. Neither team was able to score any points over the final two minutes of the quarter to keep the score 29-20 at halftime.
- The Belles started the third quarter on a 9-2 run to go ahead 38-22 with 4:52 left. In a span of just over one minute, the Comets answered with a 10-2 run to cut their deficit down to eight points, 40-32. Saint Mary's made layups to extend their lead to 10 points twice, including 44-34 at the end of the third stanza.
- Olivet closed the gap to nine points, 46-37, early in the fourth quarter. The Belles pushed their lead back to as many 16 points, 53-37, at the 4:53 mark. Seven consecutive Comet points made the score 53-44 with 2:42 remaining in the game. Olivet did not get closer for the rest of the game.
- Junior DeeDee Post led Olivet with 11 points and nine rebounds. Six of the rebounds were offensive.
- Junior Fayth Talbert contributed 10 points.
- Senior Tammy Lee scored nine points on 3-of-5 shooting from behind the arc.
- Giavanna Paradiso led all players with 19 points.
- Jade Mosier was next with 17 points.
- Bella Dugas contributed 13 points.
- Dugas and Mosier grabbed nine and eight rebounds, respectively.
- Freshman Hannah Brown has now made at least one three-pointer in all except one game this season.
- The Comets make the trip down I-69 to play Trine (Ind.) University next Wednesday, Jan. 8. Tip-off at the MTI Center is 5:30 p.m.