GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team fell to Adrian College in four sets this afternoon at the Michigan Men's Volleyball Invitational, played inside the Sturrus Sports & Fitness Center in Grand Rapids. The Comets were also scheduled to play Lawrence Tech but the Blue Devils chose to not play in the second day of the tournament.
Final Score: Adrian def. Olivet 24-26, 25-18, 25-22, 25-22
Location: Sturrus Sports & Fitness Center; Grand Rapids, Michigan
Records: Olivet 0-3 overall, Adrian 3-1 overall
- In the first set, neither team held a lead larger than two points until the Bulldogs seized a three-point advantage, 7-4. The Comets came back to level the score at 7-7. From there, the teams traded points to create six more tied scores. After the last one at 15-15, Olivet used a 6-0 run to go ahead 21-15. Adrian chipped away at its deficit and eventually tied the score at 24-24. A Bulldog service error followed by an ace by freshman Aaron Smith gave the set to the Comets, 26-24.
- Adrian had a wire-to-wire lead in the second set.
- The Bulldogs raced out to a 9-5 lead in the third set. Olivet put five of the next six points on the scoreboard to even the score at 10-all. The Comets then grabbed a 13-11 lead. Adrian scored nine points out of the next 10 points to go up 20-14. Olivet fought back and closed the gap to two points, 24-22, but a service error handed the set to the Bulldogs, 25-22.
- Olivet led 2-1 in the fourth set. Adrian scored three straight points to go up 4-2 and never looked back. Late in the set, the Comets trailed by just one point on six occasions, including 23-22.
- For the match, Olivet had 52 kills compared to 46 kills for the Bulldogs. The difference in the match was had five less attack errors (19 to 25) and eight less service errors (11 to 19).
- Olivet posted a .206 hitting percentage.
- Four players reached double digits in the kills column.
- Senior Brock Pringle tallied a team-best 13 kills.
- Junior Dan Hayes, senior Deivan Prince and freshman Aaron Smith each recorded 11 kills.
- Senior Aaron Giorgi dished out a match-high 47 set assists.
- Smith topped the defense with a match-best 15 digs.
- Noah Marcinkowski finished with a match-high 22 kills.
- Tedrich Gula was next with 13 kills.
- Joseph Campana recorded 38 set assists.
- Kevin Curley had 12 digs.
- Olivet is off until Friday, Jan. 31-Saturday, Feb. 1 when it competes at the Concordia (Wis.) University Invitational. On Friday night at 6 p.m. ET, the Comes face Maranatha Baptist (Wis.) College, and on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET, they play the host Falcons.