ALMA, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team was upended by Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Alma College, 96-88, at the Art Smith Arena.
Final Score: Alma 96, Olivet 88
Location: Art Smith Arena; Alma, Michigan
Records: Alma 12-10 overall, 6-5 MIAA; Olivet 5-17 overall, 2-9 MIAA
- The Comets raced out to an 11-4 lead in the first four minutes of the game. The Scots answered with a 9-0 run to take their first lead. Alma pushed its lead to eight points twice. After the last time at 30-22, Olivet went on a 12-4 run to level the score at 34-34. The Scots took the lead back on a free throw before a layup by junior Chris Martin gave the lead back to the Comets.
- Alma regained the lead on a jump shot but junior Delbert Redfield responded with a three-pointer to put Olivet ahead 39-37 with exactly two minutes left in the first half. The Scots then scored eight unanswered points, including back-to-back three-pointers for a 45-39 lead. A triple by senior Ryan Franklin cut the Comets' deficit in half but a three-pointer for Alma pushed its lead back to six points, 48-42, at halftime.
- Five straight Scot points to start the second half extended Alma's lead to double digits for the first time. Olivet chipped away at its deficit and trailed by only three points, 60-57, at the 11:35 mark of the second half. The Comets were not able to get any closer for the remainder of the game.
- Junior Eddie Thigpen led all scorers with a season-high 33 points.
- Freshman Britton Angell joined him in double figures with 21 points.
- Junior Colin Carter grabbed a team-best nine rebounds.
- Alma made 34 total baskets, including 15 from behind the three-point arc.
- Ryan Stevens posted a double-double with game-high 27 points and 10 assists.
- Kyle Woodruff came off the bench to score 21 points.
- Stevens and Woodruff combined to make 9-of-16 three-pointers.
- Also scoring more than 10 points were Jack Poling and Cole Kleiver with 15 and 12 points, respectively.
- Olivet hosts Trine (Ind.) University Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m.