OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team fell to Calvin University, 79-53, in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) game this evening at the Upton Center Gymnasium.
Final Score: Calvin 79, Olivet 53
Location: Upton Center Gymnasium; Olivet, Michigan
Records: Calvin 11-9 overall, 5-4 MIAA; Olivet 5-15 overall, 2-7 MIAA
- The Comets scored the first five points in the first 52 seconds of the game on a three-pointer by senior Ryan Franklin and layup by junior Eddie Thigpen. Over the next five minutes and 17 seconds, the Knights scored 21 unanswered points. During the run, Calvin made 5-of-7 three-pointers to go along with 3-of-4 shooting from inside the three-point arc.
- The Knights stretched their lead to 21 points, 33-12, at the 7:13 mark. Olivet fought back and trimmed its deficit down to 10 points, 36-26, with 3:36 left until halftime. Calvin scored four of the final six points of the half to hold a 40-28 advantage at halftime.
- In the opening 20 minutes of play, the Knights made 13 baskets, with nine coming from three-point territory. The Comets made eight baskets, with three triples, and 9-of-12 shooting from the charity stripe.
- Olivet scored the first basket of the second half and that 10-point margin would be the closest it would get for the rest of the game. Calvin's largest lead of the game was 32 points, 68-36, at the 7:42 mark.
- For the game, the Knights shot 38.5 percent (25-of-65) compared to 27.9 percent (17-of-61) for the Comets. Calvin canned nine more three-pointers (13 to 4) and one more free throw (16 to 15). The Knights had a 54-35 advantage in rebounding.
- Freshman Britton Angell scored a team-leading 15 points, including a perfect 7-of-7 from the charity stripe.
- Freshman Noah Wiswary came off the bench to score 13 points.
- Thigpen finished with 10 points.
- Thigpen, and juniors Jared Long and Chris Martin each had six rebounds.
- Four starters reached double figures in the scoring column.
- Derrick DeVries posted a double-double, 24 points and 12 rebounds.
- Thad Shymanski scored 14 points.
- Emmett Warners also had a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- Tony DeWitte netted 10 points and seven rebounds.
- Olivet wraps-up a four-game home stand Saturday when Kalamazoo College visits the Upton Center Gymnasium. Tip-off is at 3 p.m.