KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team was on the losing end of an 87-72 score to John Carroll (Ohio) University today in its second game at the Kalamazoo College Hornet Invitational and played at the Anderson Athletic Center in Kalamazoo.
Final Score: John Carroll (Ohio) 87, Olivet 72
Location: Anderson Athletic Center; Kalamazoo, Michigan
Records: John Carroll 5-0 overall, Olivet 1-4 overall
- The Comets made their first four baskets to take a lead 9-3 at the 18:09 mark. The Blue Streaks answered with eight straight points to go ahead 11-9 with 16:25 left in the opening half. From there, neither team led by more than four points until John Carroll gained a five-point cushion, 23-18. Olivet came back with a 6-0 spurt to regain the lead.
- The Blue Streaks responded by taking their largest lead of the game, 41-32, at the 2:01 mark. After another nine-point lead, 43-34, the Comets ended half by putting six of the final eight points on their part of the scoreboard to trail by five, 50-45, at the intermission.
- Freshman Britton Angell made a three-pointer on Olivet's first possession of the second half to make the score 50-48. The Comets were never able to draw any closer for the remainder of the game.
- Olivet shot 49.2 percent (29-of-59) from the floor compared to 40.0 percent (30-of-75) for the Blue Streaks. The difference in the game was John Carroll drained 12 three-pointers and 15 free throws to seven triples and seven free throws for the Comets. Olivet had a slight advantage in rebounds, 42-38.
- Junior Shawn Pardee scored a game-high 25 points on 10-of-14 shooting. He made two three-pointers and was 3-of-3 from the charity stripe.
- Angell finished with 19 points.
- Junior Colin Carter grabbed a game-best 11 rebounds.
- Senior Keyon Rainey registered five rebounds and five assists.
- Jackson Sartain tallied a team-best 24 points, with six baskets from behind the arc.
- Ryan Berger added 18 points.
- Luke Hippler contributed 10 points.
- Jimmy Berger provided eight assists.
- Four players each had five rebounds.
- Olivet travels to play University of Wis.-Platteville next Sunday, Dec. 8, at 3 p.m. EST.