OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team beat Saint Mary's (Ind.) College in four sets in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) match this evening at the Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet def. Saint Mary's 25-17, 25-15, 23-25, 27-25
Location: Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Michigan
Records: Olivet 12-5 overall, 2-2 MIAA; Saint Mary's 8-9 overall, 1-2 MIAA
- After the Belles scored the first point of the opening set, the Comets scored eight of the next nine points to go up 8-2. Olivet never relinquished its advantage, leading by as many as nine points before settling for the eight-point win, 25-17.
- Saint Mary's held a 6-5 lead in the second set. The Comets then put seven straight points on the score, five on attack errors by the Belles and two on service aces by freshman Jill Arends. Olivet held the lead for the rest of the set.
- The teams exchanged points early in the third set. With the score knotted at 5-5, a Saint Mary's service error and two aces by Arends made the score 8-5. The Belles responded by scoring seven straight points to take the lead back. The Comets battled back and tied the set at 13-13 and 15-15. The Belles went on a 3-0 run to go up 18-15, and never trailed for the rest of the set. Olivet did fight off two set points to make the score 24-23 but a Saint Mary's kill ended the set.
- The Belles started the fourth set on a 7-2 run. Saint Mary's maintained their lead and had a four-point cushion at 21-17. Olivet used a 5-0 run to take its first lead in the set, 22-21. After trading points to create three tied scores at 22-22, 23-23 and 24-24, Saint Mary's got a kill to go up 25-24. The Comets tied the score at 25-25 on a service errors. A kill by sophomore Drue Mullin put Olivet ahead, and an attack error for the Belles sailed long of the back line on the court to hand the set and match to the Comets.
- Olivet finished the match with a .172 attack percentage (50 kills, 20 errors, 174 attempts) compared to .129 percentage (53 kills, 28 errors, 194 attempts) for Saint Mary's. The Comets also finished with an 8-4 advantage in service aces and 11-5 edge in total blocks.
- Senior Morgan Champion led Olivet with 16 kills, while hitting at a. 234 clip.
- Junior Laken Groll recorded 14 kills and .273 attack percentage to go along with six blocks (two solo and four assisted).
- Junior Audrey Lama joined them in double figures with 10 kills and hit at .212.
- Senior Madelyn Notenbaum posted a double-double with 37 set assists and 21 digs.
- Senior Gabrielle Mundt collected a match-best 28 digs.
- Nicole Lukens led all players with 22 kills.
- Megan Collantes was next with 14 kills.
- Morgan VanderWey dished out 46 set assists.
- Courtney Pelletier registered a team-best 22 digs.
- The Comets return to the court Saturday with an 11 a.m. match at Adrian College.