OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team won a thrilling five-set match over Franklin (Ind.) College in its home-opener today at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet def. Franklin 25-21, 19-25, 22-25, 25-21, 16-14
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Michigan
Records: Olivet 10-3 overall, Franklin 9-6 overall
- Franklin led the first set 4-1. Junior Mia Parker stepped to the service line, and helped Olivet score eight straight points to go up 9-4. The Grizzlies countered with an 8-1 run to take the lead back, 12-10. The teams traded points to make the score 14-13. The Comets responded with three straight points to surge ahead 16-14. Franklin came back a 4-2 run to tie the set at 18-18. Olivet scored the next five points and did not relinquish its lead for the rest of the set.
- Neither team led by more than two points early in the second set. After the Comets led 8-7, the Grizzlies put four consecutive points on the scoreboard and never trailed for the rest of the set.
- Olivet held a six-point advantage, 16-10, in the third set. The Comets maintained the lead until Franklin used a 5-0 run to turn a 21-18 deficit into a 23-21 lead. Olivet closed the gap to a point, 23-22, before two Grizzly kills ended the set.
- The Comets built a 9-4 lead in the fourth set. Franklin reeled off five straight points to tie the set. The teams traded the next six points to create three more tied scores. After that, Olivet scored three consecutive points and never looked back.
- The Grizzlies served first in the fifth set. Franklin led 8-6 when the teams switched sides of the court. The Comets scored four straight points to go ahead 10-8. The Grizzlies answered with a 3-0 run to regain the lead 11-10. Two Olivet points put the Comets on top 12-11. Franklin tied the set before two Olivet points made the score 14-12. Franklin saved two match points to even the score at 14-14. Olivet scored the last two points to win the set and match .
- Junior Laken Groll recorded 20 of the 62 Olivet kills. She also had six blocks, two solo and four assisted.
- Junior Audrey Lama slammed down 16 kills to go along with posting a team-best .412 attack percentage.
- The Comets served 11 aces, including four for Parker.
- Senior Madelyn Notenbaum dished out a team-best 45 set assists.
- Sophomore Drue Mullin topped the defense with 24 digs.
- Parker and senior libero Gabrielle Mundt each had 22 digs.
- Abby Sewell and Kyndall Boyll finished with 15 and 13 kills, respectively.
- Billie Jarrett tallied 47 set assists.
- Allison Thompson led the defense with 27 digs.
- Olivet starts Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play next Tuesday, Sept. 24, with a 7 p.m. match at Kalamazoo College.