CHICAGO, Ill. – The Olivet College women's basketball team drops a one-point game to Elmhurst (Ill.) College, 55-54, in the opening game of the 2019 North Park University Thanksgiving Tournament, held inside the Holmgren Athletic Complex in Chicago.
Final Score: Elmhurst (Ill.) 55, Olivet 54 (Final)
Location: Holmgren Athletic Complex; Chicago, Illinois
Records: Elmhurst 1-2 overall, Olivet 1-1 overall
- The Bluejays doubled up the Comets, 14-7, with 58 seconds left in the opening quarter. Two three-pointers by freshman Brianna Alexander were sandwiched around an Elmhurst layup to make the score 16-13 after the first stanza.
- The Bluejays led 18-15 at the 8:50 mark of the second quarter. Over the next five minutes and 48 seconds, Olivet went on a 17-0 run to go up by 14 points, 32-18. During the run, the Bluejays turned the ball over seven times and missed their six shot attempts, while the Comets drained 6-of-8 field goals, including a three-pointer by freshman Hannah Brown to cap the run. Elmhurst made the final two baskets of the quarter to trail by 10 points, 32-22, at halftime.
- The Bluejays continued their run in the third quarter, scoring the first seven points to trim their deficit to three points, 32-29, at the 4:48 mark. Olivet answered with eight straight points to extend its advantage back to double digits, 40-29, with 40 seconds left in the third period. An Elmhurst three-pointer made the score 40-32 to start the fourth quarter.
- The Bluejays chipped away at their deficit and eventually tied the game at 43-43 at the 5:51 mark. Senior Tammy Lee made a three-pointer before an Elmhurst basket made the score 46-45. Junior Fayth Talbert scored a layup to put Olivet back ahead by three. Two Bluejay layups gave them a one point lead, 49-48.
- Elmhurst split two free throws to make the score 50-48 with 1:36 left in the game. The Comets surged ahead 51-50 after junior DeeDee Post made a free throw to complete an "and one" play with 45 seconds remaining. The Bluejays took the lead back on two free throws. After Olivet missed a shot, Elmhurst split two tosses from the charity stripe to make the score 53-51.
- The Bluejays had a chance to extend its lead but missed two more free throws. After the second miss, Brown nailed a three-pointer to put the Comets ahead by one, 54-53, with 6.8 ticks showing on the clock. Elmhurst called a timeout to advance the ball to the front court. The Bluejays scored what proved to be the winning basket with 2.8 seconds remaining. Olivet inbounded the ball but a last-second shot was off the mark.
- Post scored 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to lead Olivet.
- Lee also had a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. She also dished out four assists.
- Courtney O'Donnell tallied a team-best 15 points.
- Anna Hill added 12 points.
- Kween Jean pulled down 11 rebounds.
- Olivet continues play tomorrow at the tournament, playing the host Vikings at 4 p.m. ET.