AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Olivet College baseball team broke the single-game school record with 13 stolen bases this morning in a 10-6 win over Becker (Mass.) College. It was the Comets' first game at the RussMatt Invitational and inside the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale, Florida.
Final Score: Olivet 10, Becker (Mass.) 6
Location: Lake Myrtle Sports Complex; Auburndale, Florida
Records: Olivet 3-6 overall, Becker 2-5 overall
- In the bottom half of the first inning, the Hawks loaded the bases on two walks and a hit batter. The only run Becker would score was on a sacrifice fly.
- The Comets answered with three runs in the top half of the second. Freshman James Harris reached on an error to lead off the inning. Freshman Ty Metzger hit a single through the right-side of the infield. After both runners stole a base, freshman Matt Fisher brought them home with a two-run double. Fisher then stole third base and scored on an error by the catcher.
- Olivet stretched its lead to 6-1 with three more runs in the third inning.
- Becker got one run back in the home half of the third inning.
- The Comets scored one run in the sixth inning.
- The Hawks pushed across two more runs in the bottom half of the sixth inning to make the score 7-4.
- Olivet answered with a pair of runs in the seventh on a two-run single by senior Logan Sella.
- The Comets capped their scoring with a single tally in the eighth inning.
- Becker ended the game's scoring with a two-run eighth.
- Olivet set the school record for steals with 13. Senior Brandan Settles had three, followed by Metzger, and seniors Riley Bennett and Aaron Gillespie with two each. Fisher, Harris, Sella and sophomore Matt Hewitt had one apiece.
- At the plate, Gillespie went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
- Metzger also tallied three hits.
- Harris collected two hits and three runs scored.
- Fisher scored twice and drove in two runs.
- Sophomore Drew Smith picked-up the pitching win, throwing five and one-third innings. He allowed four runs (two earned) on three hits and four walks, while striking out two.
- Senior Huston Snyder pitched two innings in relief and gave up two runs on two hits and four walks.
- Senior Matt Rehfeldt earned the save after tossing the final inning and two-thirds.
- Six players recorded a hit, and all of the hits were singles.
- Sean Flynn was charged with the pitching loss. He surrendered nine runs (three earned) on 10 hits over seven innings.
- The Comets face Loras (Iowa) College at Pat Thomas Stadium in Leesburg. First pitch is at 10 a.m.